Register    Login    Search    FAQ

Welcome
Welcome to gasmaskforum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: My Gas Mask Collection
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:42 pm 

Have thanks: 3 time
Hello all! I just got a new gas mask today (I get most of mine locally), for a good price, and figured it's about time to actually show it off.

While I have a price guide on general WW2 items (Covering quite a few gas masks and respirators), these two books are what brings in most of my knowledge. Other than you guys, of course.

British Military Respirators is a nice topic covering everything from the Black Veil Respirator, up to the Mk II, with references on the Large Box Respirator and Mk. IV filter variants, such as my favorite: The Type EA Extension, which I have just discovered on eBay UK. Since I don't have the money, feel free to check it out. While my dream mask, I have other intentions to use my money for.

US Chemical and Biological is an excellent reference book. With ~60 pages of information on masks such as the early Navy Head Canister, Mickey Mouse, and masks up till the modern M40s. The rest of the book contains captioned, high-def images of various masks, some with different conditions you may find, and in the back, some authentic (Printed in) images of what they looked like those many years ago.

The GP-4u was the first mask I ever bought, and is probably going to make a nice costume for this coming October. The mask itself is in overall excellent condition, dated 1967, the accessories are not original. The bag is for the GP-5 type mask, as well as the filter and anti-dim lenses. Purchased on eBay

The second ever mask I bought was a Czech M10. Found in Glenn's Army Surplus in Colorado Springs, while originally looking through a store called Leasure's Treasures. Unfortunately, I threw away the original plastic wrapper, as I was not very knowledgeable on the subject at the time. Has the canvas (Not rubber) carrying bag (Which I have used, as it's quite nice), filters still in plastic (Both parts of said filter), and spare lenses. Dated 1984, if I remember correctly (Yes, I'm that lazy)

This is the third mask I bought (On eBay). The MIA2, dated 1941 (So, a later issued version), has a rubber hose (A perfect condition (Minus missing flutter valve and bag) MIA1 from the mid-30s is actually in an antique store nearby. Has some original photos about it, and they're charging ~200$ for it, which I don't really have the cash for.) Mine includes the bag and mask, the bag is in okay condition, the mask itself is in 'Poor' condition, with the filter brutally removed, and some rust. The head harness, is in fairly good condition though! While the main section connecting all the straps is in okay condition, the straps are still in very nice shape giving the 75 years it was stored for.

Found this little guy in an antique store in Pueblo. It's the Canadian C3, with the 60mm filter. While there is no bag, the mask is in very good condition, and the filter still has the extra rubber piece that sits above the lid. I have no idea what it's for, so if somebody can enlighten me, that'd be great ;)
Almost forgot, it's from 1970

Discovered in the Pueblo Flea Market, this 'SCHM-41M' is actually just a GP-5 (Dated 1990 oddly) and East German rain-pattern bag, filter, and hose. Still, I couldn't argue with the price they were selling it for. Always thought GP-5 production stopped in 1989, possibly this isn't even a GP-5?

Found this in the same flea market stall, and bartered it down in price. It's an M17A1, dated 1984 (Which is odd as well, somebody told me production stopped before that), but the resuscitation tube's interior piece is still there, as well as the extra little tab on the outside. Includes the bag, exterior filters (No interior M13A1 filters), some extra lenses, contamination bag, anti-dim stick, and sealed hood. Unfortunately the straps are not here

This is a U.S. M2 mask. I got this by running an ad through the local paper, and picked it up today, actually. I have no idea if the date is 1942, 1946, or 1969. There is some rubber cracking on this mask, however, everything else seems to be in excellent shape. (Thank you, Moulage, you enlightened me on the specification of the mask)

There ya' have it, my collection, which I dream of expanding, and possibly creating a website or even a museum eventually. It sure would be nice to have a museum other than the Chemical Corps museum for gas masks. :P

P.S.
Do you like my jerry-rigged camera studio? I rest my elbows on a table, with my phone camera, put a sheet over a chair, and boom. Oh, and I used a peanut butter jar to hold the masks up, as I can't decide what to display my masks with. Plastic heads or acid-free paper?

Last edited by King_CreepaLot on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Gas Mask Collection
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:14 pm 

Have thanks: 10 time
Your M4 is actually an M2, the M4 used a lighter bag and a smaller filter. Good collection, btw.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:04 pm 

Moulage wrote:Your M4 is actually an M2, the M4 used a lighter bag and a smaller filter. Good collection, btw.

Thank you very much! I was always unsure about it's classification, but had no idea what type it was. You're my hero.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:59 pm 

I've got a few more gas masks which I'll go ahead and show off.

Here's a photo of all the masks currently, you can find this exact image on my Reddit post about my collection (For those of you wondering, there's a Reddit page for gas masks).

I've got a new R.F.K. right from a relative

Plus an East German PRWU w/ two sets of anti-fog lenses for the SCHM-41m, two pairs of chemical gloves, (One pair is NVA marked, haven't examined the others), the rubberized bag, and the EO-16 filter. Got this one from Goodwill, so quite a nice find.

Here's the R.F.K. mask (Which I'm currently storing in a plastic tote with a plastic bag on the bottom for two reasons:)
A: There's no room
B: I'm not taking any risks with it being damaged

And those two M10/OM10 bags are from when I created the "M10 Power" post a little while ago. I assembled one with the reinforcing lenses and everything, and the other I'm keeping sealed.

I'll be getting three more masks in the next six months (Hopefully)

. C.E.M. with anti-dim tin and carrying bag
. A DAGSA Spanish Civil War mask (Haven't seen images yet)
. MIA2 in near mint condition (Other than flutter valve)

Once I get those in, I'll start making posts with info about them (Depending whether or not they've been made already). :lol:

Board index » Show off your Gas Mask Collection